Monday, April 8, 2013

Chapter 5: First Taste of Rejection


____________


Darleen is pregnant again,  though this time it wasn't her idea to have another child. These days she's all about honing her street art skills. Breathing spray paint fumes is a totally not a health hazard.


Kamala wakes up on Love Day morning with a desire to have her first kiss. She's still a little young for that, but it's also her birthday. Very fitting for a hopeless romantic like herself. Maybe because it's a holiday, no one thought about throwing her a party, but Kamala and Suresh did want to go to festival and partake in the activities there, like throwing horseshoes.


And dancing. When Suresh is proclaimed king of the dance at the end of the festival, it just cements his belief that he is especially favored over all his other siblings.


Suchandra and Darleen stay home to celebrate Love Day in private.


Suresh takes his last chance to beat up on his sister with a pillow before she ages up.


Later that evening, it's birthday time.


Kamala becomes a teen. It's too  late to work on getting that first kiss tonight. Maybe tomorrow at school she'll figure who she wants it to be.


Darleen doesn't waste any time spelling out the dangers of risky woohoo to her new teenager.

"Mom, I haven't even had my first kiss yet. Just let me go to bed."


"So...risky woohoo?"

"I'm already prgnant."

"Regular woohoo?"



They get as far as the bed when Darleen goes into labor.


Their fourth child is another boy, Rajendra. Darleen still wants a girl. One more try, Darleen.


Suchandra was also hoping for a daughter this time, and shares his wife's desire to try again. This time, he prepares in advance, buying a supply of watermelon before she gets pregnant again. While he's at the grocery, he decides to dive into a dumpster. He doesn't find much, just a lamp and a hunk of iron.


But he does get filthy in process, and decides it's time the family got a washer and dryer. Because it's so much more convenient than magically cleaning yourself.


At school, Kamala decided she wanted to learn Joshua Gilbert's sign. Maybe he's the one who'll give her her first kiss.


Joshua has a steady girlfriend, however, and is also one day away from becoming a young adult. At least Kamala got in a little flirting practice, and her first taste of rejection.


"Mom! Hey, Mom! Moooooommmmyyyyy! Mommymommymommymommy!"

There really is a forcefield around highchairs that makes parents oblivious to the kids inside them.


Suchandra has been promoted to the leather vest and pants career outfit. Smexy!


When did this happen? Since Darleen was granted Simmunity from illness, she stopped getting nauseous during the earliest stage of pregnancy, so we he had no idea she was expecting again so soon.


Desperate for a girl this time, Darleen subjects herself to an all watermelon diet throughout her pregnancy. Because that's totally a healthy way to eat while pregnant.


It's Saturday, and Kamala is determined to get her first kiss. Carlos Shaw has been a good friend of hers since childhood, and he's much more receptive to her advances than Joshua was. 


While doesn't reject her flirting, he does deflect by asking her to join him in a water balloon fight, where he can keep physical distance between them.


Carlos has a steady girlfriend already, Yuna Tanner. Yuna has already graduated, so Kamala wouldn't feel too bad about asking him to break up with her, But, before she goes that far, she takes a good look at him and wonders if she shouldn't hold out for someone better. Carlos kind of looks like a frog, and she's not sure kissing him will turn him into a prince. As much as she wants her first kiss, there's no reason to rush it on Carlos; he's not going to get snatched up by anyone else, after all, since he's already in a steady relationship, so she can put him on the maybe list while she keeps looking.


On Sunday, Kamala's situation becomes more dire when she wakes with a desire to have her first romantic relationship. It's not just about kissing anymore. So, off to the park where she finds Alvaro Tanner picnicking with his parents. He's the only boy in school who isn't in a relationship. Maybe that should be a warning sign, but Kamala can't see anything wrong with him, except for being Unlucky.


The best way to show a girl you like her is by throwing a balloon filled with water in her face. In third grade, maybe. Come on, Alvaro, you can do better than that. You do want a date for the prom don't you?


There you go! Alvaro suddenly gets serious about this flirting thing and gives Kamala an amorous hug.


Kamala gazes lovingly into his eyes, and suddenly, she knows. She doesn't just want her first kiss, she wants her first kiss with Alvaro.


Firth the wind up.


Then the pitch. Goooooaaaaalllll! Uh, sorry, I don't  do sports metaphors very well.


After her three biggest romantic wishes were fulfilled with a kiss, Kamala is toen between the desire to pilow fight with Alvaro and to watch the stars with him. Can't watch the stars in braod daylight, and can't pillow fight in the park, so she invites him home to where the pillows are, and hopes he'll stick around long enough to watch the stars when they come out. While they're bashing each other with pillows, the psychic announcer proclaims that prom is in a few days. Kamala of course wants to invite Alvaro, and since he's right there, she does so immediately.


Being a good dad, Suchandra vets Alvaro's pillow fighting skills before he lets him take his daughter to prom.


Later, she gets her wish to watch the stars with Alvaro. Now that her love life is order, she can start focusing on things like improving her painting skill.


Not happy about how much of this chapter is devoted to his sister, Suresh makes a play for attention by cleaning the toilet. 

"Look at how good I am! I'm a much better choice for heir than Kamala!"


As the kids are on their way to school on Monday morning, Darleen goes into labor.


Despite eating all ten of the watermelons Suchandra bought for her during her pregnancy, their fifth child is another boy, Darshan. Even though he actually wanted a girl, too, Suchandra can't help but be smug about fathering four boys in a row.

Keep it up, Suchandra, and you won't be getting any tonight. Oh, who am I kidding, of course you're getting some. You two can't help yourselves.


The summer festival has just arrived, and Kamala and Suresh want to check it out after school.


Be careful there, Kamala. You do want to fit into your prom dress, don't you?


Suresh wins while his sister is still stuffing her face.

"Clearly, I am the superior sibling. You will choose me as heir."



That night, Kiran has his birthday and becomes a child. Watch out Suresh, you  have some serious competition. Cuteness definitely counts.

______________________________

10 watermelons and she still had a boy! That's five kids now. I'm not sure I want to go for a 6th just so Darleen can have  girl. Well, I also wanted another girl. And of course, Suchandra and Darleen have a way of going off and getting pregnant behind my back. 
The last two babies, Rajendra and Darshan, inherited the genie trait. The rest are normal Sims. Though they all have either pyromaniac or immune to fire hidden traits, too. I'm kind of leaning toward a non-genie heir, just because the lifespan is so long. Suchandra has 44 days until he becomes an adult. Darleen has about a week.

Darleen suddenly started rolling a lot of street art wishes, and this got her high enough Rebel status that she earned an extra trait slot. She chose Perfectionist. They always make their beds and clean their dishes. She's also cleaning up toys more often.

Suchandra has achieved his LTW, maxing Guitar and Charisma. So, I am free to choose my heir any time now. But, I'll wait a bit to see what the younger kids look like. (For those that don't play this challenge, there are some differences in how heirs and spares/spouses are played, and once you choose the heir, the previous heir is treated as a spare.) I kind of adore Kamala, but I hesitate to make the oldest child heir, especially when there are so many younger siblings. 

Also, I had been putting off getting Nraas Tempest mod while I figured out the whole caste system in SP. But, when the snows persisted in Lucky Palms through Spring, I decided it was time. I know we can just turn off Winter, but I don't like losing the holiday just to get the right weather. I live in a climate where it never snows (except in the mountains), and we still have the winter holidays. Also, I was able to change the rain and fog and temperature ranges to better fit the desert. So, no more snow and fog!


20 comments:

  1. 'I'm going to be the favorite!' I even hear an accent lol.

    Glad she finally got her kiss.

    I wondered if the whole thing with getting rid of nausea stuff would make it harder to tell (well, a day later) when a woman is preggers. Thanks for being my guinea pig! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suresh is pretty confident he'll get picked as heir, lol.

      I'm glad Kamala found a guy to kiss her, too. Luckily she got a generic wish for a first kiss, so I was free to look around. Then after flirting with Alvaro she wanted to kiss him, specifically.

      I was so surprised when Darleen got out of bed that morning and there was the unmistakable music of changing into maternity wear. And she started rubbing her belly. So, yeah, it is harder to tell. Since she's family oriented, she dreams and talks and thinks about stuff like bottles and blocks and baby shoes all the time, but for a non-family oriented Sim, that would be a sign of pregnancy, too.

      Delete
  2. "Carlos kind of looks like a frog, and she's not sure kissing him will turn him into a prince."
    AHAHHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!
    I hadn't noticed that until you pointed it out. That's brilliant.

    Did Kamala really wish for her first kiss from child-stage? If so, that's crazy.
    I think I like Kamala best at the moment. She's gorgeous. But... Damn, Kiran is SO CUTE! I agree, wait and see how the younger ones look before you decide.

    What traits does Suresh have? He always looks so... cocky. Love it :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think you have to eat the watermelon before she starts showing for it to work. At least that's how I read it. I could be wrong.

    The black hole highchair! It swallows them I tell you! Swallows them! lol.

    Cocky little Suresh is my favorite for heir too. Totally. I love his remarks and plays for attention. Too funny. And as for Kiran, does he have a trait that makes him clean and be a better candidate as Suresh constantly reminds us? lol.

    And the 'Psychic announcer', loved that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've always heard you had through the whole pregnancy to affect gender with fruit.
      I love Suresh's plays for attention as well. But we'll see. Kiran has family oriented, and breeders are highly prized in the wishacy challenge. Though, woohooer does kind of make the desire for constant breeding less necessary.
      Kamala actually has a great set of traits with Hopeless Romantic, as it pushes her to wish for romantic interaction, so she can find a mate, and Handy, which will make her want to repair and upgrade stuff.
      One great thing about this challenge is you are not required to move out your spares immediately like we do in the random legacy, so their is a possibility of keeping Suresh around as a disgruntled spare for the rest of his life.

      Delete
  4. When I was looking over Kamala's romance prospects, the frogginess of Carlos was a big deal breaker for me, but he was also the only guy she was friends with. But since he is in a steady relationship, and flirting with him didn't inspire any new wishes to get romantic with him, I figured she could hold off on him and try for better.
    She didroll a wish for her first kiss while still a child, but it was the morning of her birthday. I've never seen that before, but since she was turning teen that day anyway, I locked it in.

    I do want to wait to choose. Kiran is really cute. The two youngest are genies, I'm not sure I want another long lived supernatural heir.
    Suresh has Good Sense of Humor, Bookworm and Neat.
    I'm going to update my Generations page with all the kids' traits next time I update.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad she found Alvaro because I agree with her Carlos did look like a frog. Unless the Sims are trying to make ugly Sims, I usually pick pretty Sims for them to hook up with. Is it a normal thing for the game to throw 'kiss' in as a wish for a child or is that a side effect of one of the mods? As far as I've remembered, children don't get romantic interactions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like find good looking Sims for Sims to breed with, too. If I can find them. The main thing Carlos had going for him was she had an established friendship with him, which would make it easier to get him to the point of asking him to break up with his girlfriend.
      But, luckily, Alvaro was single when Kamala found him, so he just had to flirt her way up to being able to kiss him.

      As far as I know, it's not normal for the game to throw a romantic wish on a child. The interaction isn't even available for them. It could have been a weird glitch, or it could have had to do with the fact that she was turning teen that day. It doesn't make much sense, though, even though she's got 0 days until she ages up, she's still a child until that magic moment of Sim puberty.

      Delete
  6. Great chapter! Some parts made me laugh outloud! Do you play with story progression by any chance? If you have it set to balanced for the sexes of the babies born in the town, it wont matter if you eat all the watermellon in the world to have a girl if there is already an inbalance between boys and girls. You can easily change it in the settings though. :) Otherwise i can't imagine why the old apple and watermellon trick isn't working.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda! I do use Nraas SP, and I don't remember offhand if I have it set for balanced sexes. Thanks for telling me that, I will check that later when I have the game open.

      Delete
  7. Loved, loved, loved this chapter. Suresh is too funny. And Kamala is SO pretty. I can't believe Suchandra and Darleen had ANOTHER boy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, sparkle!
      Suresh is a really fun character. I love the way Kamala turned out. Choosing my heir is going to be tough. You haven't seen much of Kiran yet, but he's definitely a contender.
      I know, I'm overwhelmed with boys. And I really wanted a girl, too.

      Delete
  8. I love Suresh, his attitude is fun! :) Suchandra and Darleen have such great looking kids, they breed well together, lol I'm glad that with the Wishacy you have some time to think about it, that the spares don't have to be kicked out right away.

    Alvaro is a much better choice than Carlos, so I'm happy she waited!

    I hear you about the girl, lol I have figured out that multiples usually give me a mixed batch, which is how I ended up with quads, lol If I had been thinking, I would have just used the Try for Girl interaction on the sauna. Doh! I've also read (from SimAd on NRaas) that the Watermelons only work *before* they show that they are pregnant.

    And lastly, I LOVE Suchandra's new career outfit~



    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nirar!
      Suresh is pretty much stealing the show here. Or trying to, lol.
      It is nice to have the freedom to keep spares around. I love rolling the +help type structures in the random legacy, and I get disappointed now when I just roll couple.
      Buy, even with MC set to allow more than 8, huge households can be a drag, so I can't keep them all.
      I like Alvaro better too. And he was single.
      Suchandra career outfit is cool, but nothing to what you have Alder wearing. Those pants! I keep meaning to mention them in the comments. But, omg, Alder's pants!

      Delete
  9. aww cute. Kamala is the only girl she has to be the heir. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was disappointed Kamala was the only girl, I (and Darleen!) wanted another.

      Delete
  10. All of the kids look good. I think you should try at least once more for a girl. I've hated the high chair in my wishacy so I finding hiding it in the family inventory a good place for it to stay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did want another girl, but I wanted to stop at five. It was a tough choice.
      I did get lucky to have so many good looking kids to pick an heir from.

      I never use high chairs, lol. I only got this one because they wished to buy one. But I think I'll take your advice and put it the family inventory and raise the future generations to be fed on the floor.

      Delete
  11. hahahaha a frog! *LOL* Poor Carlos.
    Ah poor Suresh. He's the Cinderella. ;) A very snooty one... and demanding... haha... but yes, he has some serious competition there with Kiran.... (Kiran is gonna be a looker I bet)
    Suchandra's smug is adorable.
    Kamala has the red glow in her eyes at the eating contest.... she did good waiting for Alvero.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL at the image of Suresh as Cinderella. He definitely has way more attitude. Now I want to d a retelling of Cinderela where instead of suffering her lot stoically, she's got a Suresh complex...
      Kiran is going to be a looker. ;)
      I did notice the red glow. It took Kamala awhile to find the right guy to get her first kiss from. In the end, she got a good one.

      Delete